Cannot create cluster
Brian
2006-01-17 11:25:45 UTC

I'm trying to create a new cluster on my Windows 2003 Enterprise Server. I
start with the first node and it just fails when it try to configure cluster
services. It seems that the problem is that it cannot start the cluster
service and therefore it removes the service again.

The failure i get in the cluster wizard is "Error 0x8007042c: The dependency
service or group failed to start."
The failure i get in ClCfgSrv.log is:

Attempting to start the 'ClusSvc' service
Error 0x0042c occurred while trying to start the 'ClusSvc' service
Error 0x0042c occurred trying to start the 'ClusSvc' service

15 seconds later I recieve the following error in ClCfgSrv.log:

A runtime error has occurred in file
'd:\srvrtm\base\cluster\mgmt\cluscfg\basecluster\cservice.cpp', line 417.
Error code is 0x8007042c. The error string is 'A problem occurred when the
wizard attempted to start a service.'.

The drive letter D:\ is my CDROM drive - therefor I cannot understand why it
refers to a file on there.

I have tried to look up the errorcodes on Google and Microsoft support
without any luck.

Now I hope someone in here can help.

Best Regards

Brian
Chuck Timon [Microsoft]
2006-01-17 13:27:16 UTC
Ensure the time service is not disabled.
--
Chuck Timon, Jr.
Microsoft Corporation
Hi,
Brian
Brian
2006-01-17 13:48:50 UTC
Hi Chuck,

Ahhh - that was the problem. It's because it's a virtual VMware server - and
VMware practice is to disable the time service. But now I enabled it again
and then the cluster service installed with no problems.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Brian
Post by Chuck Timon [Microsoft]
Ensure the time service is not disabled.
--
Chuck Timon, Jr.
Microsoft Corporation
Beta Engineer
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights.
Hi,