What is the best solution you can give about IIS7 NLB & Clustering SQL
narbeh
2010-05-16 05:49:06 UTC
Hi All,
Our company looks for a solution to expand the network infrastructure.
We will be having Windows Server 2008 Standard & SQL Server 200
Enterprise.

In Germany, we will have 6 servers:
ServerA1, ServerA2 -> NLB for the main website.
ServerB1, ServerB2 -> NLB for wcf Service
ServerSQL1, ServerSQL2 -> Failover clustering
"As I am new to clustering and NLB, i have no info about the hardwar
requirements or shared storage, please help me"

And In England, we are looking to get a Server 2008 Standard + SQ
Server 2005 Enterprise installed on one mashine or maybe separat
servers and join them to Germany's NLB and SQL CLuster.

So, our users should allways connect to Servers in germany, but in cas
of internet disconnection or the servers are down, user should be abl
to work with servers in England without knowing what is happening.

I'd be grateful if you could correct me if any mistake, give me the bes
solution, even better if you could create a map using visio would b
much appriciated.
Thanks all

--
narbe
narbeh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/220836.ht

http://forums.techarena.i
RCan
2010-05-16 17:31:39 UTC
Hi Narbeh,

this is generally possible for SQL and is called geographically stretched
cluster -> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742374.aspx
In this solution you will need also an storage based replication like a.e.
HP continiuos access or EMC SRDF
http://www.emc.com/products/detail/software/srdf.htm
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storage/software/conaccesseva/

Note : As far as I'm aware SQL 2008 cluster does not support when cluster
nodes reside on different subnets, which does mean that you still need to
"stretch" your VLAN to your England location.
Should be checked here ->
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/9/D/69D1FEA7-5B42-437A-B3BA-A4AD13E34EF6/SQLServer2008FailoverCluster.docx

For NLB you need to use hardware based load balancer (a.e. F5 BIGIP) which
are capable to switch over the traffic on demand.

My personal opinion here is, you should consult an IT company with "DR"
experience for getting support during this scenario as there are sooo many
hints which you need to be carefully during your planning and
implementation.

Hope that helps

Regards
Ramazan
Post by narbeh
Hi All,
Our company looks for a solution to expand the network infrastructure.
We will be having Windows Server 2008 Standard & SQL Server 2005
Enterprise.
ServerA1, ServerA2 -> NLB for the main website.
ServerB1, ServerB2 -> NLB for wcf Service
ServerSQL1, ServerSQL2 -> Failover clustering
"As I am new to clustering and NLB, i have no info about the hardware
requirements or shared storage, please help me"
And In England, we are looking to get a Server 2008 Standard + SQL
Server 2005 Enterprise installed on one mashine or maybe separate
servers and join them to Germany's NLB and SQL CLuster.
So, our users should allways connect to Servers in germany, but in case
of internet disconnection or the servers are down, user should be able
to work with servers in England without knowing what is happening.
I'd be grateful if you could correct me if any mistake, give me the best
solution, even better if you could create a map using visio would be
much appriciated.
Thanks all.
--
narbeh
narbeh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/220836.htm
http://forums.techarena.in
narbeh
2010-05-18 10:48:31 UTC
Hi All, Thanks for your reply.
I want to clarify more with some changes.

In Germany, we will have 6 servers:
ServerA1, ServerA2 -> NLB for the main website.
ServerB1, ServerB2 -> NLB for wcf Service
ServerSQL1, ServerSQL2 -> Failover clustering

And In England, our country where all of our clients are, We will have
ServerBack1 -> DNS Server pointing service.example.com to Germany.
ServerBack2 -> SQL+IIS

So, our users should allways connect to Servers in germany, but in cas
of internet disconnection or the servers are down, user should be abl
to work with servers in England without knowing what is happening. Is i
even possible to do the job with windows server 2008 R2 features?
What settings should i change in DNS? How can i tell dns when to poin
to England and when to germany