Can't bring Network Name on line
Allyn
2010-05-17 19:14:01 UTC
We had a SAN that crashed, and we now have the servers back up but clustering
isn't function. When I look at the dependency report, the Network Name is
offline but its IP address is online and pingable.

The event viewer shows several of the following:

==============
Event ID: 1205; The Cluster service failed to bring clustered service or
application 'Cluster Group' completely online or offline. One or more
resources may be in a failed state. This may impact the availability of the
clustered service or application.

==================
Event ID: 1069; Cluster resource 'Cluster Name' in clustered service or
application 'Cluster Group' failed.

==================
Event ID: 1207; Cluster network name resource 'printserver' cannot be
brought online. The computer object associated with the resource could not be
updated in domain 'choctawnation.com' for the following reason:
Unable to obtain the Primary Cluster Name Identity token.

The text for the associated error code is: An attempt has been made to
operate on an impersonation token by a thread that is not currently
impersonating a client.

The cluster identity 'PRINTSERVERCLUS$' may lack permissions required to
update the object. Please work with your domain administrator to ensure that
the cluster identity can update computer objects in the domain.

==========
Event ID: 1205; The Cluster service failed to bring clustered service or
application 'Cluster Group' completely online or offline. One or more
resources may be in a failed state. This may impact the availability of the
clustered service or application.

I've been googling this for a while, but haven't found a solution. I'd
appreciate any ideas. Thanks
John Toner [MVP]

Abdul nazar syed
2010-08-14 17:19:06 UTC
I had the same issue with my exchange server cluster.

and we got it fixed...

This is what I did.

Checked my DNS server for a record of the cluster name. It was deleted for some reasons. I created a new A record with the same IP and cluster name.

Shut down both nodes
Switched on the preferred owner.
it started working..
Once all services are working fine and OK I switched on the second node too.
Now it is fine.

!!!!!!!
Post by Allyn
We had a SAN that crashed, and we now have the servers back up but clustering
is not function. When I look at the dependency report, the Network Name is
[...]
I have been googling this for a while, but have not found a solution. I'd
Post by John Toner [MVP]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950805
Regards,
John
BizTalk: Parallel Processing with Correlation
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/6b1df1e9-e8fc-4dc1-a810-1245a8ef0208/biztalk-parallel-processing-with-correlation.aspx
m***@gmail.com
2013-03-30 07:28:10 UTC
*caveat; abdul's method of manually registering a hostname (A) record in DNS will potentially fix the issue but is not recommended by microsoft

in case anybody else comes across this article in their research for a solution to why a Windows Cluster can't register clustered-resource names:

I found the solution http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldisasterrecovery/thread/c7ecd6d5-1969-4332-99e1-e68255c94f81/

long solution, short:
- right-click the clustered-resource name
- select more actions...
- select "repair active directory object"

other tools that help might be:
- (from command prompt or powershell) nltest /scquery <FQDN>
- net helpmsg <decimalvalueof_last-4hexcharacters_ofwinerrorcodes>
- setspn command might be required to (re-)register service principal name of computer/resource objects
- dcdiag command from domain controller could indicate active directory service issues (which could cause the registration failure of cluster resource names)
- nltest /dsregdns (from the domain controller if directory services fails to register itself, according to output of dcdiag)
pimpinonnabudget
r***@gmail.com