Migrate to Cluster File Server
KJK
2006-02-07 21:37:28 UTC
I am planning on migrating to a clustered Filde Server and have some concerns.

Here are my steps:
1. Create cluster, disk resources,etc.
2. Migrate Data
3. Shutdown old server down without disjoining from domain, so if there is a
issue I can simoply turn back on.
4. Create Print Shares
5. Create network resouce utilizing the old server name which will be what
users will be mapping for File/Print Access. This will enable me to not have
to change the logon scripts or home drive mapping for all users.

Anyone see any isses with step 3 and 5? I'm worried is I do not remove the
old server from the domain this will prevent issues, but I want to be able to
bring the old server back online if there are issues in the migration.

thanks,

KJK
Russ Kaufmann [MVP]
2006-02-07 22:39:20 UTC
Post by KJK
I am planning on migrating to a clustered Filde Server and have some concerns.
1. Create cluster, disk resources,etc.
2. Migrate Data
3. Shutdown old server down without disjoining from domain, so if there is a
issue I can simoply turn back on.
4. Create Print Shares
5. Create network resouce utilizing the old server name which will be what
users will be mapping for File/Print Access. This will enable me to not have
to change the logon scripts or home drive mapping for all users.
Anyone see any isses with step 3 and 5? I'm worried is I do not remove the
old server from the domain this will prevent issues, but I want to be able to
bring the old server back online if there are issues in the migration.
Here are my steps:
1. Create cluster
2. Create Resource Group(s)
3. Create Printers and share them
4. Create File Shares
5. Migrate File data using Robocopy
6. Create new logon scripts and script to remap home drives
7. Create printer script to change all printers to the new location
8. Migrate a few test users in a pilot
9. Use robocopy on a regular basis to keep all content synched
10. test, test, and test some more with more pilot users until confident
that everything works
11. Migrate everyone else
12. Retire old server
--
Russ Kaufmann
MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
Blog http://msmvps.com/clusterhelp
KJK
2006-02-08 04:21:27 UTC
I like this idea also and this is the way I have done this very thing in the
past but, upper management does not wish to change the file server name thus
keeping the login scripts the same.
Russ Kaufmann [MVP]
2006-02-08 16:41:08 UTC
Post by KJK
I like this idea also and this is the way I have done this very thing in the
past but, upper management does not wish to change the file server name thus
keeping the login scripts the same.
You might want to talk to them about how smooth the process can be using
your original plan.

You can always go back after the migration is done and add the old file
server name as a DFS root and thus "alias" it.
John Fullbright
2006-02-08 01:34:15 UTC
I'd just use the tools; printmig 3.0 and MSFSMT.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/f9aa2f5f-c66c-4474-be59-a684429f56c01033.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/tooldocs/msfst_overview.mspx
KJK
Russ Kaufmann [MVP]
2006-02-08 16:56:46 UTC
Post by John Fullbright
I'd just use the tools; printmig 3.0 and MSFSMT.
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/f9aa2f5f-c66c-4474-be59-a684429f56c01033.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/tooldocs/msfst_overview.mspx
The tools are pretty nice, and the file server migration tool will
automatically create the DFS root to provide access via the old server name
for the new server.

BTW, I have written a script to reset the print server name for all printers
and that makes that part real easy.

'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (0x80000000)
'HKEY_CURRENT_USER (0x80000001)
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (0x80000002)
'HKEY_USERS (0x80000003)
'HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG (0x80000005)

'On Error Resume Next

const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001
strComputer = "."

strOldServer = "OldServerNameHere"
strNewServer = "NewServerNameHere"
Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" &_
strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

strKeyPath = "Printers\Connections"
oReg.EnumKey HKEY_CURRENT_USER, strKeyPath, arrSubKeys

For Each subkey In arrSubKeys
IF INSTR(1,subkey,strOldServer,vbTextCompare) Then
strDeleteKey = strKeyPath + "\" + subkey
oReg.DeleteKey HKEY_CURRENT_USER, strDeleteKey
strAddKey = Replace(strDeleteKey,strOldServer,strNewServer)
oReg.CreateKey HKEY_CURRENT_USER, strAddKey
oReg.SetStringValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER, strAddKey, "Provider",
"win32spl.dll"
oReg.SetStringValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER, strAddKey, "Server", "\\" &
strNewServer
ELSE

END IF
Next
MarkFox
2006-02-08 17:33:28 UTC
You can create a cluster group/NetworkName/IPAddress etc that can use your
existing server name, then as you stated your clients will not need to change
anything since the new "virtual servername" is what they will connect to. We
used Quest Consolidator to move the data/permissions. Also you need to make
sure no one is accessing the shares while the migration is going on. One
thing to keep in mind is that the IP address of the resource will differ from
the old physical server so if your network configuration uses ACL's to
control access to different offices or locations, make sure the new virtual
server ip address is allowed through for all client areas that need it. Hope
this helps.
--
Mark
KJK
KJK
KJK
Russ Kaufmann [MVP]
2006-02-08 18:19:46 UTC
Post by KJK
OK. Any issue with not removing the old File Server from the domain. ie just
keeping offline?
Yeah, there would be a naming conflict and a computer account could not be
created so kerberos could not be used.
MarkFox
2006-02-08 19:48:24 UTC
What we did was rename the server servernameOLD, that way if there are any
files ect that are missing you can easily copy them to the new clustered
Virtual Server.
--
Mark
KJK

Russ Kaufmann [MVP]
2006-02-08 23:48:14 UTC
Post by MarkFox
What we did was rename the server servernameOLD, that way if there are any
files ect that are missing you can easily copy them to the new clustered
Virtual Server.
Of course, proper use of robocopy will get everything and it even provides a
nice little report summarizing what it copied.
MarkFox
2006-02-09 15:20:31 UTC
One thing to keep in mind;
If you are migrating from Win2k to Win2k3 make sure you set up the Share
level permissions properly. In Win2k the default Share level perms are
Everyone Full, in Win2k3 the are Everyone Read. You should use NTFS perms on
the actual folders to control access but if you do not change the Share level
perms your users will not be able to do anything other than read.
--
Mark