Server and exchange clustering over WAN
Andrew
2007-07-10 20:06:06 UTC
Hi,

I've been tasked to set up a PDC/Exchange server that is currently
running Windows server 2003 std R2 With a redundancy solution that would
involve having another server at a remote site. Whenever the PDC at the
host site goes down it must failover to the remote site with minimal fuss.

I'm aware that the current setup /software/OS won't work with clustering
and wanted to purchase server enterprise edition and exchange
enterprise edition at both sites to comply with the requirements of the
task.

The connection is a 2Mbps bonded ADSL line.

I have a few questions about whether the setup would actually work over
a WAN cnnection. I've read various documents and articles on the net
saying that this is no problem but had a few questions regarding it:

1. Is it possible to cluster a server and exchange 2003 over a WAN
connection?

2. Would a bonded 2Mbps ADSL line be enough to allow replication over
the WAN link

3. Would a Cluster server do what I want i.e allow the node to failover
and allow network users not to notice that the PDC had fallen over?

Thanks for any insight anyone can give me into this subject.

Andrew
Rodney R. Fournier [MVP]
2007-07-10 20:24:32 UTC
When you say PDC, I am going to assume you mean the FSMO role PDC Emulator
which runs on a Domain Controller. NEVER CLUSTER A DC. NEVER. With that said
you don't need to cluster a DC anyway. Just have 2 or more, since FSMO roles
never automatically transfer. Use AD integrated DNS too, so that DNS is
available.

1. Cluster over a WAN? With one node a each location? Only if you have third
party replication for the shared storage and two SANS. Exchange Server 2007
has other options when SP1 comes out, but nothing right now. You will need
to have under 500ms access times between the servers. You will need 2 VLANS
for the clustered nodes, one for the heartbeat, one for the public traffic.
This is a must, same subnet for the nodes!!!

2. If you still have bandwidth available, what else runs on it? Do a ping
test, and see number 1 for issues.

3. Exchange can. NEVER CLUSTER A DC!

Hopefully this makes sense.

Cheers,

Rodney R. Fournier

MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
http://www.nw-america.com - Clustering Website
http://msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training
ClusterHelp.com is a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner
Andrew
Andrew
2007-07-11 13:10:03 UTC
Rodney,

Thanks for for detailed response. I just have a question regarding
response:

1. If i'm trying to replicate the entire network for redundancy on a
remote site how would the users log on if the domain controller went
down? Are you suggesting two domain controllers at the host site?

Andrew
Andrew
Rodney R. Fournier [MVP]

Andrew